Friday, November 6, 2009

second class citizen: rants from mutant 2

Last November was oh so bittersweet. So exciting and groundbreaking to see Obama get elected. But waking up after his election to the news that Prop 8 passed was something else. Maybe you woke up upset because your man didn't win the election and you are disappointed and maybe even depressed. But that is politics. You win some, you lose some. Prop 8 is personal. This is affirmation that people out there don't like us (the gays) and might even hate us. That my almost 9 years together with dw is meaningless to them and perhaps even disgusting. That if I should find myself in a bad situation in the wrong hospital, in the wrong state, that dw may not even be allowed to see me. They treat us like we are not human, not as worthy as the 'straight' population. But last I checked, I bleed, I hurt, I pay taxes and I sure as hell know how to cry. How did it feel that morning? Imagine waking up on your birthday, sun shining, your loved one brings you breakfast in bed but instead of handing you the tray, he/she punches you in the gut instead. You are shocked, speechless, tears come to your eyes, you don't know what you did wrong. You wish you could pull the covers over your eyes and never get out of bed. It is painful and bewildering. Yet you have to keep going, the world doesn't stop for you. And we do keep trying. We persevere. We aren't going away. Hitler tried to get rid of us, but we are still here. We even use the pink triangle he made the gays wear, as a symbol of pride. 31 states have put the gay marriage vote to the public and 31 states have denied us the right to get married and all the rights that come along with it. Five states have legalized gay marriage: Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut and Iowa. But all did so through legislation or court rulings, not by popular vote. Prop 8 sucked but it has awakened a rebirth of protests and action. Maybe the next Harvey Milk has been born.



I finally had this sticker made. Something I have been meaning to do for the last year. I wish I had the money to make thousands and pass them out but feel free to make your own if you want one. It reads as 'no hate'. Of course it is a play on 'vote no for prop 8' but is has a secondary meaning as well. Hate of anyone is wrong but we all know the world is full of so many kinds of hate. Lets talk about President Obama. I was very worried that he would never even make it alive to election day. He has so many haters out there. Whether you voted for him or not, whether he ends up doing a good job or not, I hope you can see that he has done so much for the United States just by getting elected. We still struggle with our ugly past and people are not treated equally here. His inauguration was crazy. Such an historic moment. I can picture years from now, the older generation telling of the day they saw Obama take the oath of office, tears streaming down their faces. Their grandkids look at them and say "what's the big deal? Anyone can be president." Hope and Change are here.




5 comments:

  1. You are amazing, my wondertwin. Have to get a move on for work. Talk to you later. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I voted no on Prop 8 - I was quite surprised when it got passed - especially in California - we have several cities that revolve around the gay community (San Francisco, West Hollywood etc). I honestly don't understand why anyone would have a problem with same gender couples marrying. I'm not gay, am happily married to a man, and in no way feel that whether gay people can marry or not has any affect on my marriage at all (that was one of their mottos I believe - protect marriage - or something like that). I voted for Obama too. I guess I'm just open-minded that way - hopefully, one day soon, all bigotry will be gone and people can live in peace.

    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so upset about the Maine vote. I just don't get it...I just don't understand.
    Love to you both,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mutant 2 thanks you all for your support! It will happen one day. Change takes time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The world needs to be a better place for ALL mutants of every race, color, genetic funkiness and sexual orientation. In one way or another, we're all MUTANTS.

    ReplyDelete