Wednesday, December 23, 2009

crying over real boobs

I never dreamed that I would be crying because I might not be able to cut the boobs off. Just a few months ago I would have been happy if you told me I could skip radiation, tamoxifen and keep my boobs. Now I find myself stuck in a state of limbo. DW found out yesterday that her job is going federal. What that means is that I will no longer have health insurance. Also means dw needs to reapply for her job. We don't know when that is going to take effect but it could be before my surgery in February. And I haven't been able to find work yet so no chance of getting my own insurance that way. Not sure if I'll be able to get cobra, or even if I do, what kind of coverage that will consist of and if we can even afford it. Just last week, the Domestic Partner Benefit and Obligations bill passed through the senate that would enable gay domestic partners of federal employees to receive health benefits but who knows when that will actually take effect. So for now, we are trying to take it day by day and I'm trying to come up with a plan b. Talked to my gs here and while she could fit me in January for mastectomies and delayed reconstruction she said young women don't usually like that route for psychological reasons (no boobs) and the cosmetic results don't always turn out as well later. She did say that I should qualify for an insurance that utah offers to cancer patients and that it is better than medicare but I wouldn't be able to go out of state for surgery. So I will have to see how much that insurance would cost. And need to talk to the boob goddess and see what we can do.

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! That would be so distressing! Don't rule out going to New Orleans for the surgery, my insurance won't be paying much (my husband works for the Govt and has insurance through them) but the center is not all about the money, they will work with you, let you make payments, etc. Just email me if you want to hear more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot believe that on top of your health you have to worry about insurance! That truly sucks! I will have a word with the boob goddess too and ask her to help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Teri and Jonesy for your concern!

    ReplyDelete