Tuesday, January 5, 2010

new me meets the old me

2009 went out with a bang! As I was anxiously waiting to kiss the year goodbye, I received such wonderful news. My two little sisters got tested for brca and found out on the 31st that they are negative!! What that means is they do not carry the mutation and now can be rest assured that they did not pass it on to their children. They are very relieved for their kids but did both feel a little bit of survivor's guilt which is pretty common in these situations, from what I've heard. While I wanted them to get tested I was dreading getting back any more positive results. To have them both come back negative was a dream come true.

2010 is moving along great so far. DW and I got to see a lot of family and friends on our trip to cali and we had an amazing time. This was the first we've seen of everyone since the whole cancer/brca show started. Of course we talked about it a little but then conversations turned to other things. We talked about past events, new events and new lives that have come into our world recently and much talk about the future. I found my 'old normal' on this trip and that felt really good. Not only did I forget about brca for awhile but I learned that my new normal and old normal can coexist peacefully. Yes, my life has changed but that doesn't mean that everything is different. I am still the same person I was before, just with some modifications in the works:)

Today marks the 12th anniversary of my mom's passing. Although I hate cancer and everything that goes with it, I have to admit it is good for one thing - it does give you time to say goodbye. I don't know how I could have handled it if my mom died suddenly in an accident. For all of you that are suffering from recent loses of your loved ones, I am so sorry. Do know that it will get better in time. I will always miss my mom and always wish she were here, but it has gotten easier with each passing year.

Here are some pics from our trip!





































2 comments:

  1. I am so happy to hear that your sisters tested negative! That is great news! The pictures are awesome too, looks like you all had a great visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was such a relief to get that news! Their genetic counselor didn't even wait for their next appointment. She called them up right away. Guess that made her day too!

    ReplyDelete