Thursday, February 11, 2010

the menopause experiments

I've decided to have a little fun with this whole, sudden menopause thing. As you may know, I am not taking any hormones and I was suddenly thrust into the world of surgical menopause just over a week ago. So far, I have only had one night sweat. That's what I'm calling it. I don't think it was an actual hot flash unless I happened to sleep through that part. That was on superbowl sunday and happened to be the first time I had caffeine post-surgery (a small glass of diet coke, to be specific). Caffeine (and alcohol) are suspected to be causes of hot flashes and night sweats. That day, I had the soda in the evening. So yesterday I decided to have another glass and see if it would result in another night sweat. This time I had it before lunch and no, I did not experience anything bad overnight. Today, I am pushing it. Just had two glasses of diet coke at 4pm. Let's see what happens tonight!

Now since I am new at this whole thing, and still recovering from surgery, I'm not sure what may be menopause symptoms and what may just be recovery symptoms, so bear with me. Besides the one night sweat, I've also been experiencing a flushed face (feels taut, hot and red), hot skin and cold hands. The cold hands come in handy as they feel comfortable when placed on my flushed face. Either I am getting used to the flushed face, or it has been getting a little bit better in the last couple of days. Or maybe it depends on the weather. I'll have to keep an eye on that before I jump to conclusions. I have been dressing in layers and try and shed as much as possible as soon as I come in from the cold and then put some back on as needed. I think it has been helping. My mother had a penchant for sweaters that zipped all the way down because they were easy to remove. Now I wonder if this was something she picked up while she was going thru the change or did she always like them?

The stereotype of a woman going thru menopause is that she is bitchy. Up until last nite, I think I've been doing ok and actually been in a very nice frame of mind. To be honest, I can't really blame my mood last nite on the lack of hormones. I am notoriously bitchy when I'm tired and by the time dw gets home from work I am ready to be carried to bed. So I'd have to blame the bitchiness at this stage on still being in recovery rather than menopause. More time is needed to see if I turn into a menopause bitch. Personally, I think my sense of humor has remained intact.

This weekend is valentine's day. What a perfect time to test out if my libido survived surgery! Not that I can go beyond first or second base. My doc would like me to wait until my post-op appointment in 3 weeks until I swing for the fences. But a little necking should give me a good idea if my mojo is still around. I suspect it is. We have had a few kisses but it has been hard to tell what I'm feeling since my muscles and everything else down there is in recovery. My ovaries and uterus were removed through my vagina after all, so it may take a little time for things to return to normal.

If anyone has questions on menopause or an experiment you'd like me to try, I'm open to comments/ideas. Say perhaps you'd like me to perform a patrĂ³n experiment. Simply send me a bottle and I'd be happy to see how many shots it takes to produce a hot flash.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry, this made me giggle - the part about 'if anyone has an experiment for you to try' - that was pretty funny.

    Glad to hear that you are recovery so nicely!

    Hope you have a happy v-day!

    ReplyDelete