Monday, April 5, 2010

menopause update: week 9

I'm starting to lose track of how long it's been since my surgery, so this could very well be my last surgery update. Yeah! Guess that means I'm almost back to 'normal.'

I had some brain damage moments between week 4 and about week 7. As I mentioned before, I accidentally left my contact lenses on all night, probably for the first time in 25 years. I also left a burner on the stove, left the water running in the sink, couldn't remember the name of the apple mp3 player (ipod), couldn't remember how to find the bathroom in the dark then couldn't find my way out in the dark, had trouble finding my way to the cancer big house and my hospital - places I've been to millions of times, forgot to get off at my exit and didn't realize it until I passed two more exits. And who knows what else I screwed up. I mentioned my brain problems to my nurse practitioner at my 6 week visit and she smiled at me and said that's what happens as we get older. (Then she qualified it and said that if I start losing track of days and have a change in vision then I should see my pcp and probably get an mri. What? I don't have a brain tumor)! I said my symptoms just started after surgery so couldn't it be from a lack of estrogen? We discussed it a bit and she said that it is possible. People do start losing some brain function as they age and that is usually when they start losing estrogen. So what to do? Well, guess you could try taking some estrogen but they also say (and this applies to the old folks as well) 'use it or lose it.' Your brain gets stronger by introducing new things, experiences, jobs, stimulation, etc. And of course get the proper amount of sleep and eat right. I did start working around week 4 and after months of moping around the house doing nothing, it appears that my brain is making a come back. I haven't gotten lost in awhile and haven't done anything really stupid that I can think of in the last couple of weeks so I think my brain farts were just temporary.

I haven't bothered trying to figure out what triggers my hot flashes because they haven't been that bad so it isn't worth the trouble and I don't want to give up anything that I'm eating or drinking anyway! So really all I do is make sure I dress right for the weather and take my jacket off inside stores when I'm shopping so I don't start heating up. I bought a cute little desk fan at target for $6 and have it at work and it stops the flashes right away. Once in awhile I feel something that I've heard people describe as a hot flush. As opposed to the flash where my face feels hot and tight, the flush is kind of neat. All of a sudden you feel this huge warmth inside you and it just kind of flows right out of you in seconds. Kind of like drinking a shot of vodka, a little warmth burning in your gut.

I think that wraps it up for my menopause symptoms. Haven't noticed anything else going on. So just trying to get back to my regular workout routine prior to surgery. I haven't started running yet or doing crunches or lifting much. I have gone snowboarding a few times with fabulous results but just haven't been able to get back to the gym. That's a work problem, not a surgery problem at this point. Just don't have the energy after working 10 1/2 hours to go to the gym. I have to hand it to dw. She is gone at work for 14 hours, is taking 2 graduate classes and still goes to the gym after work. She is a superwoman!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't had memory problems since my ooph, well, no more than usual - but I've heard lots of other women have - they jokingly refer to it as 'ooph brain' ;)

    Maybe try taking some Ginko Biloba...

    ReplyDelete