Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I left my heart (and part of my boob) in salt lake city

It's official. I've left utah behind and am now residing in california. I've rejoined my wife after 6 months weeks apart and while it is so good to see her again I'm going through an adjustment period. It's to be expected and I just need to roll with it. Living with the in-laws until I can find a job and we can afford our own place. Our pets and their pets learning to get along under the same roof. Trading mountain views for views of palm trees. I haven't even seen the bay yet as we are out in the burbs (I'm going to have to do something about that this weekend)!

It's funny how much difference a year can make. I know I say that all the time but it's so true. Last october I put a poll up on this blog asking you all to vote on where we should move next. I was so ready to leave utah. Now we have moved but I will miss it dearly. Two years ago as we left ny and headed to utah, I was so excited. So much beauty and so many places to explore in utah, not to mention the snowboarding! And we had an awesome first 8 months before cancer and brca entered our lives. The rest of that story is written here in the many pages of this blog. Somewhere between last october and this october I changed my mind about leaving. Somehow between my bcsw, snowboarding and working in the gardens I was healed. I got broken in utah but I got fixed there too.

So I'm back in cali and I expect to hear the typical utahn jokes when people find out I lived there. You know the dumb ones about how many wives I have, etc. And I expect to hear a little hatred because of prop 8 and current talk by some church leaders. When I hear people saying bad stuff about mutant 2 the kid in me wants to strike back or curl up in pain but the adult in me tries to remember what I've learned over the years: that is that you shouldn't judge the individuals of a group by what its leaders say. I mean, I grew up catholic and my pope doesn't like me but I know for a fact that many catholics do not believe in everything the pope dictates. And I assume that the same goes for the lds. I've had the pleasure of making the acquaintance of several lds and I like them and I hope they like me too. We don't have to agree on everything and believe in all the same things to get along. A little respect goes a long way and I just wish Packer had worded his speech a little kinder. If you've never been to utah, please don't be afraid to go there. It's a beautiful place and the people are pretty nice.
video

6 comments:

  1. Awesome post Janine...love it all. The pictures are incredible and the music perfect. Mom would be so excited for you in your travels, and proud of you for continuing to be an amazing person. Love to you both! Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't make me cry, sis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi- hey I am going to miss my ski house ;) Glad you guys made the move though- sure it will take some adjusting! Hope to see you soon up there. Hopring that after this tour in NOLA -I will be done with that gig. Have a trip up to SF Nov 18-19-hoping to hang out on the weekend and get the pub group back together!

    Love to both of you

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure D&L will let you crash with us at their house when we go back! We'll see you in nov if not before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, the Bay area is so amazing! You'll fall in love with it in no time. A little Ghiradelli hot fudge is a good place to start ~ okay, maybe a lot of hot fudge, LOL. One of my favorite places, ever, is Muir Woods. Taking a hike through the ancient forest can heal your soul.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I;d cu my biches off ages ago if I;d known abou my supid gene sss

    ReplyDelete