Friday, January 7, 2011

vacation is over

Little sis-in-law left this morning to head back to her home state. She was here for a month visiting while her friends were on college break. DW headed back to work after two weeks off for the holidays. And I am officially off my self-sanctioned five month break from doctors as I transitioned from one state to the other, one insurance to another. I moved here in october and didn't bother getting new docs since I knew I was switching insurance to kaiser. Kaiser, if you haven't heard of it, is a bit different than the normal insurances like bcbs. They have their own system, own docs, own way of doing things. Seems scary at first just because you don't know what you're getting into. But it is an hmo and that means potential big savings for you, the patient! My plan seems pretty good so far: free diagnostic crap like mri, x-rays, etc with no copay. Low copay to see the doc, decent prescription costs. And they really like to treat the chronic diseases like diabetes. "Thrive" is their motto. They have a ton of diabetic programs, with educators and nutritionists and the works - all for free.

So saw my new primary doc this week. I needed to get all my prescriptions renewed and of course, get that breast mri ordered:( New doc is very nice, listens to me, seems fairly knowledgeable about my conditions. My apt was mostly just her entering all my info into the computer. Took at least half and hour to get all my drugs and family history in. She just came back from holiday skiing at park city- bitch (ok, I'm being jealous). She has an interesting background in that she works half the time in the internal/family medicine office and the other half in the ob/gyn office. Not sure what that's about but sounds good for my needs. Brought some old lab reports with me and of course she sees that my diabetic control is not where they like it so suggests seeing the endocrinologist. It is something I have thought about so I agreed to it. Said she'd talk to the gyn/onc about follow-up care for my surgery and managed to throw in a question about tamoxifen and mastectomy. I brushed those questions aside gracefully and she let them fall to the floor but I'm sure they'll be brought up again especially if she gets her hands on my records from my breast surgeon. All in all, I'm happy with my choice so far. Kaiser does everything on the computer which is super cool. You can see a profile of all the docs to choose from and most of them have a personal page where they write a little intro about what they like, how they practice medicine and some of their beliefs. You can also send emails to your doc and I've already taken advantage of that. That is one thing my other docs did not do but is a really nice feature. Had labs taken on Tuesday and was already getting some results back the next day online! Sweet! No more waiting. I'm very curious to see how that works with my mri. Will I get to see my result online (good or bad) or is that going to be delayed? Would you rather get a phone call or find out when you're surfing the web that you might have cancer? What if you're standing in line for a latte, checking your iphone and notice that your ca125 has hit the roof - would you order it anyway or run to the liquor store instead? You know me, I'd get me some ben & jerrys and some apricot beer.

Saw the diabetic educator (cde) today. Yeah, wondertwin, thought of you! She was trying to talk me into going to a series of classes since I'm not working and have some time. Is there nothing I hate more than sitting around in a class learning stuff I think I already know?! So I said not now, thanks. Talked about what I think my problem is and I said I need someone to hold me accountable to which she said, "oh, you don't want to own your diabetes?" Touche...made me remember that I am 42 after all. Guess it is time to grow up and be healthy without anyone nagging me into it. And the bonus would be (besides everlasting health) that I could stop seeing the damn docs so much. Yes, new doc has already said that if I work with the cde and my numbers get better than she won't be seeing me around so much. Sounds good to me cuz I am already burnt on this doc thing and I just started back this week. Seeing the nutritionist & cde in a couple of weeks right after my mri and I also need to schedule my first bone density scan. Wouldn't it be nice to only go in three times a year? One pelvic, one mammo/cbe and one mri/cbe. Time to buckle down and get serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment