Wednesday, April 6, 2011

the big day is finally over

The big day is finally over. Not the BIG day! Just the big day. Test number 2 for my anatomy and physiology class. We've spent the last 7 weeks learning the bones and muscles of the body, their actions, origins and insertion points. These last 2 weeks or so I've spent a lot of time studying. Time to put the books away (at least partially) as I focus on other looming priorities. I guess the most urgent is doing our taxes. I always leave it to the last minute! And then of course is this year's tour de cure bike ride for the american diabetes association. Haven't been training or fundraising much but the ride is less than 4 weeks away and I need to get my butt (gluteus maximus, gluteus minimus, gluteus medius, etc) in gear if I'm going to make my goal of 100 miles.

I am happy to have so many things to distract me from what is also looming over my head. Less than 9 weeks until my bilateral mastectomies. It will be the week after finals. I set the date a couple of weeks ago. I have been very calm but when I hung up the phone I had a momentary breakdown. It certainly is real now and I don't see myself backing out of it this time. I'm getting ready to let my boss know that I will need time off. April is going to fly by and then surgery will be just 4 weeks away so I need to warn them. Things are going really well there and I've proven myself and helped out during a couple of crunches. They are trying to find the time to train me as a med tech (promotion) and most of the residents love me. I'm enjoying being part of a team again and I love most of the residents too.  I've also learned that my company has a nation wide program in place to financially help out its employees during times of need. Actually, it is a program that is funded by the employees so I guess I should start contributing a little something from each paycheck. I'm hoping to be able to apply for a little bit of the wages I will lose during my time off. That will take a little bit of the sting out of sitting around on my ass recovering from surgery.

Spring is definitely here in the bay area so I'm going to get out there and enjoy it. I hope you all will be seeing spring soon in your neck of the woods!

2 comments:

  1. Ack, we haven't done our taxes yet either and the clock is ticking!
    Wow, you scheduled your surgery - very BIG step!! I'm here if you have any freak out moments! Best of luck, Janine, it'll be good once it's behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my fingers, and anything else crossable, crossed for you ~ I know you'll do great. Love the photo of the CA poppies. I have some in my yard but mine never get as big and bright as they do in warmer climates.

    ReplyDelete