Tuesday, July 12, 2011

post-surgery pics: unconstructed

It's been 5+ weeks since my surgery. Wow, time does fly! I've already been back to work for over a week now and things are going well there. I was worried that I might not be ready for physical labor because I still haven't reached my full range of motion and I still have some sensitive spots left over from surgery. But I have to say that I think work loosened up things a lot. I haven't been stretching diligently so being active has helped. I don't know if it is a coincidence, but the loosening up also coincided with a decrease in sensitivity. Post-surgery, my skin around the scar, as well as in the areas that tissue was removed was painful to the slightest touch. I still have a couple of sore spots which could be bruising or maybe adhesions and just a little bit of tightness left across my chest. I go to physical therapy tomorrow and hopefully will get some exercises to do so I can get all my range of motion back. Other than that, I think I am all back to normal. Normal. As in pre-brca normal. I feel normal. Normal, normal, normal. It feels good to move on. No more doctors, no more tests, no more cancer boobs to check. Well, still need to feel the leftovers up once in awhile but really not much to worry about anymore. I do miss them in the bedroom but c'est la vie. It has not affected me mentally as much as I feared. I have not been horrified to look at myself in the mirror or walk around my house without a shirt on. We (dw and I) are already pretty used to the new look. It is a leaner, harder look. No fatty flesh up top. I look kind of like a prepubescent girl (with a middle age gut).

I have attached a bunch of pics, mainly for those who are also considering the no reconstruction route. I have taken some in a swimsuit and swim shirt because of something my previous surgeon said. She told me that many young women are not happy without reconstruction and that one of the things they were uncomfortable with was how they would look in a swimsuit. Ha! How many women really are comfortable in a swimsuit regardless of breast surgery??? I can say I've never been overjoyed in a one -piece. I only wear those to the gym and then pull my towel off at the last minute and melt into the safety of the water. Once in the water, I figure the distortion will make everything look fine. Don't correct me if I'm wrong. Other than that, I like to wear board shorts and a bikini top or shirt at the beach. I've tried on my bikini tops and don't think even the tightest sports bra type will stay put with much movement because there is nothing to hold it there. I think a tankini will work just fine and the surf shirt is a definite go. You can see my scar and drain scar sticking out from my one-piece but the fit is still good over all. If showing scars concerns you, look for a suit with more coverage. Also remember that the scars will flatten out and fade with time. As for t-shirts, the ones that were a little too big before are way too big now. My belly is more noticeable now, at least to me. It always stuck out a little. I think my sternum juts out a lot now but I know what to look for. I haven't noticed too many people staring at me like I'm a freak so that is a good sign.

7 comments:

  1. You look fab, and BRAVO to you! Your attitude is inspiring. Very glad to hear you're doing so well ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look awesome! Luv u. wt

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad youre doing well! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look so good J9! Love you lots! Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't think I didn't notice your "sliced" (and gutted) t shirt. Cute. :) wt

    ReplyDelete
  6. i required this type of information.your site provide the good information about this hope you provide the more information about this thanks for nice information.Watch World TV OnlineNepal radio Online

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've tried on my bikini tops and don't think even the tightest sports bra type will stay put with much movement because there is nothing to hold it there. I think a tankini will work just fine and the surf shirt is a definite go. You can see my scar and drain scar sticking out from my one-piece but the fit is still good over all. If showing scars concerns you, look for a suit with more coverage. Also remember that the scars will flatten out and fade with time. As for t-shirts, the ones that were a little too big before are way too big now.austria fm radio onlinebrazil fm radio online

    ReplyDelete